Broadcast Engineering Magazine Shuts Down

Posted by Joe Zaller
Oct 25 2013

Since I joined the TV business more than 20 years ago, Broadcast Engineering magazine has been the authoritative destination for technical information, and one of the most important and trusted sources of industry news and education.

So like many in the television industry, I was shocked and saddened to learn that BE’s owner, Penton Media, has taken the decision to close down Broadcast Engineering.

There’s no doubt that publishing is a tough business, and Penton would not have made this decision without a clear business rationale.  The company has a broad portfolio of publications, most notably in agriculture and aerospace. BE is the company’s only property in the media business, and presumably it does not fit with the company’s strategy for the future.

On their website, Penton says this about themselves:

At Penton, we are all about providing relevant information and connections. Our solutions are tailored to the needs of our audience, which is why it takes so many forms – digital, print, live events. While longevity doesn’t necessarily correlate to success, the dozens of Penton brands in 17 distinct markets do have long embedded traditions of editors, sales, and service personnel who really live their markets. And nurturing such talent has been a hallmark of Penton for decades.

This sentiment pretty much sums up the BE team, who have been part of the collective professional lives of broadcast industry professionals for as long as any of us can remember. This makes the news that BE will no longer be around like hearing of the loss of an old friend, and I can’t help but feel that the broadcast industry is a little worse off today than it was just a week ago.

So I’d like to thank the team at BE for the fantastic product you produced for so many years, and for being such an important part of the careers of so many thousands of people all over the world.

Goodbye old friend.  You will be missed.

Related Content:

Broadcast Engineering magazine

About Penton Media

© Devoncroft Partners 2009-2013. All Rights Reserved.

10 Responses

1. Dave Cohen says:

Well said, Joe.

2. Indeed, well said. It’s a sad day for the industry.

3. My parents worked in television so naturally Broadcast Engineering Magazine was always on the coffee table at home as I was growing up. The iconic Broadcast Engineering will be missed.

4. Karin Taylor says:

But, wouldn’t online content/site continue – or is that dead too?

5. Joe Zaller says:

My understanding is that this includes online as well as print… but perhaps someone associated with the publication could comment on this.

6. Aldo Cugnini says:

I appreciate the sentiment. I’m proud to have played a role in keeping the magazine’s technical and editorial content at a world-class level.

7. David Ross says:

Sad to see them go. Like Cindy, they’ve been around my house when I was growing up and there’s one on my desk this afternoon. I hope the good people that worked there land good jobs in the future.

8. […] analyst Joe Zaller blogged some of his thoughts about the publication coming to an […]

9. Dan Slentz says:

Going to miss Broadcast Engineering. Great magazine.
    This should remind us to support the other magazines/papers in our industry to keep them strong and growing. If you don’t subscribe to TV Technology and/or Radio World, I would suggest you do so. Both are excellent publications!

I’ve written for BE, TV Tech, and Radio World. Losing any of them affects us all. How many times do we pull information, education, an idea, or maybe our next purchase out of these magazines?

Here are their web addresses:
    tvtechnology.com
    radioworld.com

10. I am very sad to see this happen and I’m surprised they didn’t try to at east sell of the property. As a writer for Broadcast Engineering for many years and through three different editors I am especially sad. My husband John D. Weigand also wrote for them–it is a sad day indeed–

%d bloggers like this: