More Broadcast Vendor M&A: Cisco Completes $5 Billion Acquisition of NDS

Posted by Joe Zaller
Aug 02 2012

Cisco Systems announced that it has completed the acquisition of pay TV software provider NDS Group in a deal valued at approximately $5 billion.

As previously announced, NDS employees will become part of  Cisco’s Service Provider Video Technology Group (SPVTG), led by Senior Vice President and General Manager Jesper Andersen.  Dr. Abe Peled, formerly NDS chairman and CEO, becomes senior vice president and chief strategist for Cisco’s Video and Collaboration Group, of which SPVTG is a part. Dr. Peled reports to Marthin De Beer, senior vice president of Cisco’s Video and Collaboration Group.

“The addition of NDS’ leading software solutions and systems integration expertise play a key role in accelerating the Cisco Videoscape platform aimed at delivering better-than-being-there entertainment experiences,” said Anderson. “Through our combined expertise, we look forward to providing the next-generation TV experience that is more immersive, engaging and social, while helping to create new revenue opportunities for our service provider customers.”

NDS was previously listed on the Nasdaq until it was taken private in 2009 by Permira Advisers LLP, a private equity firm. Permira owned 51% of the company, with News Corporation owning the remaining 49%.

In December of 2011, NDS file for an IPO to raise $100m. In its S-1 filing with the SEC, NDS said it had revenue of $957m in the year ended June 30 2011.  For the quarter ending September 30, 2011 NDS posted a profit of $4.5m on revenue of $214m.

Cisco has made multiple acquisitions as part of its strategy to build out its Videoscape platform.  Last year Cisco bought ingest and transcoding specialist Inlet Technologies for $95m.

.

.

Related Content:

Press Release: Cisco Completes Acquisition of NDS  

More Broadcast Vendor M&A: Cisco Announces Intent to Buy NDS

Reuters article: Cisco sues TiVo over DVRs| Reuters

More Broadcast Vendor M&A: Cisco to Buy Inlet Technologies for $95m

.

© Devoncroft Partners. All Rights Reserved.

.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: